
I had the wonderful opportunity to go to Washington DC for We the People nationals!! When we arrived in DC, we went on a night monument tour with the amazing tour guide, Mr. Alcox! We saw the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, World War II Memorial, and multiple other memorials. We ended up running back to our hotel at 1:30 am because it got super cold after we had pints of ice cream at the Capitol. Then the next morning I went for a run around the monuments and wow it was BEAUTIFUL! I got to chill with Lincoln for a little bit! We got to go to the Holocaust museum and the Iwo Jima memorial. We then spent a long time studying for NATIONALS! We didn't make it into the top 10, big surprise, but all of our hard work was worth it!! I competed in both units 2 and 4! My Mom and dad were able to fly out and support me in my competition. There was also a dance at the end of all of the competitions so I got to meet a ton of people from different states. After competing, we had the awards night and New Hampshire won the UNIT 6 AWARD!!! We took 26th out of 56 teams!! Also I SANG THE NATIONAL ANTHEM IN FRONT OF 3,000 PEOPLE!!! I had no idea that guards were standing behind me. It was awesome! I sang a duet with my foreign friend Ray. He's from Jordan! So throughout the rest of the week we went to tons of museums and tried many different foods. I also went to the ZOOO! I saw elephants, pandas, otters, and a lot of adorable animals! My favorite museum I went to was the Ford Theater, a President Lincoln museum. He was literally the coolest guy ever, I'm almost tempted to become a Lincoln historian. It was the 150th anniversary of his assassination so they had all the artifacts in one room so I got to see Booth's gun, Lincoln's hat, coat, and spectacles. We also met up with NH representatives and senators. We toured the supreme court, the capital, and went INSIDE the library of Congress because we got library cards! SO COOL!! I also wanted to be adventurous and try lots of foods so I had gelato, Ethiopian food (probably the grossest food on the planet), Korean tacos, Korean food (probably the MOST delicious food on the planet!!), Thai food, and so much more! The whole trip was really fun! Washington DC was such a clean and beautiful city and I had a wonderful time sharing this experience with my team.

 |
| Flying to DC! |
 |
| The Washington Monument |
Monument Tour
 |
| Eating pints of ice cream at the Capital Building! |
 |
| Chilling with George Mason. Did you know that he was an Anti-Federalist who left the Philadelphia Convention without signing the Constitution? On Unit 2 I got to study a lot about delegates at the Convention and about the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution. This Unit was focused on the history of our Constituion and I love history! |
 |
| This is Unit 4 chilling with our mascot: Lincoln! This Unit was focused on the branches of government like the Legislative Branch, the Executive Branch, and the Judicial Branch. We studied about separation of powers, state governments and constitutions, and presidential powers. |
 |
| Kaitlyn and I with FDR! (the 32nd president) |
 |
| The Iwo Jima memorial |
 |
| Hanging with Einstein. |
The Competition
 |
| This is how we study for Nationals.....(Sam and I) |
 |
| Singing the National Anthem at the We the People Awards Night |
 |
| I'm so blessed to have had my parents cheering me on at my competition! |
 |
| Prepping for competition. |
 |
| At the dance, I met a guy with a cat shirt. He kinda snatched me and wanted a picture haha |
The Food
One unique thing about being at the nation's capital is the selection of food! I had a goal to try as much foreign food as I could to have the experience of trying new things. There was food everywhere! I got to try a range of food and take my taste buds on an adventure!
 |
| Chinatown! |
 |
| I had some famous all-American hamburgers at Ollie's Trolley! |
 |
| Getting frozen yogurt while studying for Nationals! |
 |
| Korean Tacos! |
|
 |
| Ethiopian food..... |
 |
| You eat the food with this spongy bread and wow is it disgusting..... |
 |
| KOREAN FOOD IS SO GOOD! |
 |
| Eating my FAVORITE FOOD ON THE PLANET! (ice cream) |
DC Buildings
 |
| Our team stepping on the center of DC in the Capital Building |
 |
| Michael and I at the Supreme Court! |

The Library of Congress!!
 |
| Abraham Lincoln's desk! |
The Musems
I visited many Smithsonians like the Museum of Natural History, the Museum of American History, the Holocaust Museum, the National Archives with the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, and the Newseum. The Newseum had more modern history (oxymoron haha) There were the Berlin Wall, an antenna from the World Trade Center, and FBI stories and artifacts from previous successes.
 |
| The Hope Diamond |
 |
| The Berlin Wall with Kayla and Sam |
 |
| Michael and I in an old subway at the Museum of American History |
 |
| One of the largest doll houses! |
 |
| Watching a show at the Ford Theater standing in front of President Lincoln's Booth! |
 |
| My best bud and I! |
 |
| Hanging out on a bridge |
 |
| Kayla and I modeling |
 |
| How to adjust our AC in the creepy Harrington Hotel |
 |
| Unit 2 parties with the Constitution |
The Zoo
 |
| Kayla and I with our favorite animal! |
 |
| Michael, Amanda, Kayla, and I at the zoo. |
 |
| Visiting Representative Kuster |
 |
| Visiting Senator Ayotte |
No comments:
Post a Comment