Sunday, September 7, 2014

WE THE PEOPLE!



This past week I was officially titled a JUNIOR! WOOOO! I recently started school along with early morning seminary (6:10am) and my volleyball season! So this semester I'm part of a Constitution class called We The People! So all summer we read our text books, met together and talked about each of the units about the Constitution while snacking on some treats our teacher made us, we went out to eat multiple times together, had debate parties, fundraised on voting day, and participated in a Labor Day parade together! We got to meet the governor and multiple candidates for the November elections for New Hampshire. It was awesome! We also marched for our governor, Governor Hassan in the parade and got to learn a lot about campaigning and the government. Honestly I never thought learning about the Constitution would be so exciting but this class truly is making a difference!
Marching at the parade for the governor



Just chilling with the governor of New Hampshire!

Our We the People team at our bake sale on Primary voting day.

We had the opportunity of having a candidate for the U.S. House of Rep come and speak to us about her position she's running for, her campaign process, and all the things that goes through her mind and her experiences as a class!

This is my We the People class with candidate Marilinda Garcia 

We had the wonderful opportunity to sit, eat, and talk with one of our US senators Kelly Ayotte.



I'm currently in the greatest class known to man. We recently had a regional competition at our Capital near the Capital building. What happens is the judges ask each unit a question (total of 6 units per "team" or school) and we respond reciting a 4 minute essay, and then get asked follow up questions for 6 minutes and we answer as a unit based on court cases, the Constitution, federalists papers, and basically anything we know in that 10 minutes. Then we are judged at the end. Before the competition, each unit had to memorize 3 essays for 3 questions and then at the competition we only answer one question. My unit is Unit 4, all about Congress, the executive branch, and federalism. My unit (consists of 3 people) WON THE UNIT 4 AWARD OUT OF ALL THE SCHOOLS COMPETING! We're off to states! I'm actually doubling up at states so not only am I on Unit 4, but I'm also on Unit 2. Time to write/memorize 6 more essays. I'M SO PUMPED!!
My Unit 4 Squad.



Riding to the Competition

I'm known as "The Little One" haha I'm the only junior

My entire team

No comments:

Post a Comment