Saturday, June 21, 2014

I Can Go the Distance!

This year on May 10, 2014 I have the ability to say I finished my FIRST HALF MARATHON!!! I had the opportunity to run the Big Lake Half with my mom and my dad with my grandma Olsen, my sisters Brooke and Carley, and Zack there to support me! I have been training and running for this half for 3-4 months. I ran most of the race with my mom. I was feeling pretty strong the first 10 miles. It wasn't gorgeously sunny but it was terrible weather either. It may have drizzled the entire race but it was PERFECT! I was able to be cooled off and hydrated through this weather! I also had a hat to cover my face which helped A LOT! At mile 10, I hit this wall and was having a hard time! I was pushing through knowing I only had 3 miles and with 2 miles left, I swear the 11th mile was the longest mile OF MY LIFE! Once I hit mile 12, something struck me and I started picking up my speed. I knew I only had a mile to go and I was just flying past people to the finish. When I hit the last 300 meters or so, I saw the finish line; I saw my goal. At that point I was sprinting. This was it, this was my dream, my goal right before my eyes. I was flushed with joy and faintness when I finished! I was a little unstable but I had my mom right behind me. I finished my first half marathon in under an hour and 59 minutes! It was incredible! I also had some previous young woman leaders that also ran the race. Sister Gold: the stake young woman's president, and Sister Young: my previous beehive young woman leader. I had an incredible time and I was so thankful to have my family and sister there to see me reach this goal!! I honestly 4 months ago would never see me accomplishing this goal. Instead of 13.1 miles, I was more 0.0 miles....I'm so thankful for my mom that trained with me and pushed me otherwise I would not be able to do what I did this day! It was the coolest experience and I truly hope to continue and soon run a marathon!


Finishing the race!

Before the race.

After the race.


My young woman leaders and I.


No comments:

Post a Comment